Modern MINI Forum

2009 clubman S - won't start

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ajbowles Avatar
ajbowles Adrian Bowles
Westport, CT, USA   USA
Greetings - I'm an active member on the MG shrine, but have never visited here because my Mini was pretty reliable, or at least it was under warranty so I kept my mitts out of the engine bay. This morning my son called and said the car won't start - It was running fine when he drove it to a friend's house last night. It turns over fine, and there is gas in it, but it seems like there's no spark or the gas isn't getting through. I know where I'd start with the MG, where it's easy to check for spark, access the coil, and pull a fuel line (all stuff I've done in recent months). On the Mini, I really don't know where to begin. I will pick up a Haynes manual tomorrow (I ordered one because I'm planning to replace the leaky turbo oil line soon) but if anyone has an idea to pursue or a pointer to a reference that might help, I would prefer to get it resolved today.

Background: The car has 101,000 miles on it and has been dealer-serviced since I got it new. It's had a few issues (clutch/pressure plate, timing chain, and now the oil line) but it's been running very well for the last year. On Thursday night it was vandalized (story for a later time) and someone kicked in one of the xenon lights and ripped off the gas cap and lid. That night I checked the inside of the fuel filler tube that leads to the tank to see if I could detect any foreign substance, but didn't find anything. I think it was a drunk teen letting off steam from a nearby party, so I doubt that they were carrying anything that could be put in the tank but I would like to check out the fuel filter once I find it. The car started up fine that night and ran fine on Friday and yesterday, so this morning I'm baffled.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Adrian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2015 Mini Cooper S

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links