MiniShrine

Classic Mini Forum

Hemmings article: the Mini's role in reigniting the kit car cottage industry in the UK

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
KRCaddis Avatar
KRCaddis Gene Johnson
Santa Margarita, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morris Minor Pickup "Morris, Of Course"
VERY interesting read! I've always wanted to build a car, one that was more than assemblage of ill-fitted parts, but the body has always been far beyond my capabilities. Kit cars seemed as too much compromise in final form. Most I've seen, except the Seven, were not worthwhile, IMO. Some of these Mini based designs however, and particularly the mid-engine are very appealing in their simplicity and use of previously well-engineered systems. I suppose I might look for a donor and scrounge kit car magazines for shells and unfinished projects. My old dream might find some life yet...

There are so many recent FWD cars now that could grow from of this rich history.

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
I bought a Unipower GT last fall after a year of trying to complete the deal. That's factory-built, not a kit car -- seen near the bottom of the article. Nicely put together and pretty quick. Definitely a lot of fun. It had sat a few years since it was last driven so I expected a shake down period but it did have about 3 or 4 laps of pure glory, starting from 4th position at the vintage races near Houston and jumping to first place within the first half-lap and then moving up about 8 seconds ahead of the pack before the head gasket blew. The engine is now getting some TLC and I hope to be back on track in the fall.

Duncan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links