AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sealing valve cover gasket.
  This topic is about my 1966 Mini MkII
KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
I've adjusted the valves, cleaned the surfaces, and fitted a new cork gasket .. but after reassembling, and fully tightening the cover bolts, a test drive produced several oil leaks. Should I be using some kind of gasket cement or seal? Are there any other tricks? Suggestions would be most welcome!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
KRCaddis Avatar
KRCaddis Gene Johnson
Santa Margarita, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morris Minor Pickup "Morris, Of Course"
At a BL dealership I worked at MANY years ago, the technique the shop used on LBCs was to Gasgacinch (like contact cement) the cork gasket to the rocker cover after ensuring the lip was in proper condition (properly shaped, with the bent overhang, inner tabs properly positioned, entirely squeaky clean, bolt holes flat and proper, etc.), The prep work is essential.

Slather the attached cork with plenty of white lithium grease before positioning and bolting into place. The the Gasgacinch holds the cork in place accurately while lithium grease keeps the cork from drying and sticking to the cylinder head hen removing for valve adjustments. That setup should last through many valve adjustments and many years before the cork finally dries and cracks or breaks. My observation of the rubber gaskets is that they also dry out, then crush and crack from heat and age. Of the two, I prefer cork.

With the Morrie, it is important to verify the rubber seals are still soft and the proper cup washers are used. Any of the available nut types should work fine. Do not overtighten; that will distort the valve cover.

Most recently I switched to a preformed silicone gasket, hoping for a longer service life - infinite in LBC years. It is working out fine after about seven years; still no leaks, but those are expensive.

KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
Excellent advice, Gene .. thanks so much! Gasgacinch looks far more effective than the ancient Permatex form-a-gasket that I have in the garage, and the use of white lithium grease makes a lot of sense, too. Hope I'll be able to finish the job properly in a day or two!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Riley Elf

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links