AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Valve adjustment.
  This topic is about my 1966 Mini MkII
KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
I'm just working up to my first valve adjustment job. Any tips or useful suggestions would be most welcome!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zero250 Avatar
zero250 Jeff Steindler
Charleston, west virginia, USA   USA
Valve adjustments ( on English pushrod engines ) are EASY............just follow the shop manual instructions ......and, as a bonus, a mini pushes easily in fourth gear to advance to the next rocker arm........just a snug, sliding fit for the feeler gauge between the valve and rocker face...........use a box end wrench on the adjuster lock nut and loosen it, turn the adjuster with a screwdriver ( while holding the adjuster nut stationary with the box-end wrench ) , and then tighten the locknut ( while holding the adjusting screw stationary ).......it will take a few tries before you get the 'technique' down because the gap wants to get tighter as you tighten the adjusting nut........that's all there is to it........the grommets on the two valve cover hold-down bolts may be hard and cracked, so check them out...........I sealed the valve cover gasket to the valve cover on my mini cooper so the gasket can be re-used......good luck......

KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
Thanks for this, Jeff .. most useful, especially the tip about sealing the gasket to the valve cover. I actually did the job yesterday, and the subsequent test drive was uneventful, so all seems well. But ...... I don't seem to have managed to eliminate the tappet noise. There are now about 25,000 miles on the engine rebuild .. maybe something more serious than valve adjustment is needed!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Austin Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links