Austin Marina HIF 44 Carb questions

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

KRCaddis Avatar
KRCaddis Gene Johnson
Santa Margarita, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morris Minor Pickup "Morris, Of Course"
I've installed an HIF 44 from an Austin (same as Morris) Marina on a Metro intake manifold on my A series 1275 Morris Minor and now need to verify hose connections on this variant of that carb. It's an opposite of the usual SU, which shouldn't be any problem, but diagrams I've found to date don't agree with the placement of some of the hose connections.

The first photo is a Marina; second is a "typical" HIF 44; third is my setup where I've installed a catch can using the "crankcase vent" port as a vacuum source (other side of the catch can is connected to the valve cover), and fuel line to the pipe closest to the intake. Is that actually the overflow port for the Marina? That port was plugged when I bought the carb., unlikely for an overflow.

I don't find a fuel overflow port at the top center of the body, or a distributor vacuum port at the manifold end.

I'm temporarily pulling the distributor vacuum from the intake manifold, per the Metro. (I know that's not ideal, so I'll change that later by drilling a hole in the spacer. Now I'm just want to get the little pickup running again.)

I've shown a cap temporarily on a port directly beneath the "overflow" location as it seems too low on the float chamber to serve as the overflow. Anyone know what the real purpose of that tube is? The only photo I found for a Marina shows a hose leading somewhere...

Any clarifications are greatly appreciated!!!

Gene

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Austin Marina HIF 44.jpg    4.6 KB
Austin Marina HIF 44.jpg

typical HIF44.JPG    29.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC_1747.JPG    31.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
KRCaddis Avatar
KRCaddis Gene Johnson
Santa Margarita, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morris Minor Pickup "Morris, Of Course"
I got several excellent replies and the carb now works great. Thanks for the support!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Austin Mini

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links