AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
I am having less than a good time converting my '67 Morris 850 Traveller to 2 speed wipers. I have the Mini Mania wiper conversion kit which I finally got to work properly after much messing around to get the correct switch and schematic. This part of the system now works properly (Long live self parking wipers!). My issue now becomes getting the sweep correct. I am using the 105 degree wheel. I am currently using the original Mk I wiper boxes (37H6100) and drive cable tubing. I have the wiper arms and blades as recommended by Mini Mania. The issue is that there is too much sweep. Setting the blades so that they are in the correct position when parked results in the lower 3" of both blades wiping beyond the screen trim and onto the paint when the wipers are at the right hand limits of their sweep (LHD, LH park) I have a pair of later Mk III wiper boxes (37H7200), and am sorting which tubing combination will get the boxes to actually fit the holes. Has anybody successfully done this conversion? If so, what combination of drive wheels, wiper boxes, drive cable tubing, wiper arms and blades were used? The local Mini Whiz has the later boxes, but has no recollection of what combination of tubes/arms/blades he used to get it all to work. I live in Seattle and use the Traveller as a work vehicle, so effective wipers are a must!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
Steven,

As you probably know, the drive wheels come in different degrees of sweep. I had to adjust the wipers on a '69 MGB GT I used to own.

Since you're already using the 105 wheel, I don't know if there are any with less sweep. Almost sounds like you need a 95 if there is one.

Can you estimate how many degrees of sweep you'd need maximum?

SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
The answer is in the size of the wiper box gear and the number of teeth... I was finally able to get some of the Mk III (37H7200) wheel boxes to fit by cutting down some Mk III wiper rack tubing to get the 'boxes on the proper centers to fit through the holes in the body. The larger wiper box drive gears do a good job of shortening the swept area - I actually had to take it all back apart (again!) to re-install the 110 degree drive gear in the wiper motor, which (finally) got the right sweep.
So, now they self park like they should and the two speeds work. Next step - install an intermittent wipe...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
KRCaddis Avatar
KRCaddis Gene Johnson
Santa Margarita, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morris Minor Pickup "Morris, Of Course"
I simply pulled the gear out of the single speed wiper and substituted it for the one from Midget's motor. I used the rest of Morris - in my case - assembly, all with no problems. Sweep is fine. The Midget motor I grabbed was from a midget w/ 3 tiny wipers; I hadn't see that variation before... I grabbed the switch too, as well as the washer pump and bottle, as well as the dizzy. I made an aluminum plate to attach to the original wiper motor location and marked for the new mount, and replaced the rubber stand-off bolts with new ones from Mini Mania.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Mini Cooper S

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links