AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

hunter2 Avatar
hunter2 Rick Higgs
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
1961 Austin Mini Countryman "LUCKY"
1962 Austin Mini Countryman "Lucky"
1973 Leyland Mini "ROO"
I delivered ROO my 1973 BL Australia Mini Window Van to the shipping broker in Brisbane, Australia on November 25th. It was loaded on the Bosporus Highway a modern RoRo vessel on December 1st that went on to Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide before returning to Japanese home waters.

In Yokohama, ROO was transferred to the RoRo vessel Curitiba for the Pacific crossing which saw the vessel go to Tacoma first because the Port Metro Vancouver RoRo facility was jammed up. On January 14th, the Curitiba offloaded 420 vehicles including ROO.

On the 15th I was in Vancouver to the Canadian Border Services Agency Inland Office to initiate the importation (must be landed in Canada before going to CBSA). First up a SOIL EXAM (applied for and paid the fee). Clean report 'the release' received just after 3 p.m. on the 16th. Second, off to Vancouver well before dawn on the 17th to complete paperwork, pay duty & tax, obtained 'the Customs release', followed up by phone to terminal & shipper to insure the releases were delivered by fax and requested authorization to pickup ROO at the terminal. Left downtown Vancouver before the parking meters wanted money at 9 a.m.

Third, authorization granted just after 1 p.m. to make the pickup from the terminal. Off to terminal with trailer...just in case...you never know after almost 8 weeks in transit. However, with an ICBC point to point permit in hand, after ROO fired right up, a little air went into the front tires, drove off for a fuel fill-up and onto the freeway to Abbotsford for the mandatory Provincial safety inspections today, Monday, January 20th.

My helper mounted a video camera in the rear window of his Jeep and later put this short video together:

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hunter2 Avatar
hunter2 Rick Higgs
1973 Leyland Mini "ROO"
An update...

ROO passed the mandatory safety inspection for registration in the province of British Columbia. The inspection is done by a certified automotive mechanical shop - ROO passed with flying colours.

The vehicle glass and lights must also be inspected. The agency that does this is Commercial Vehicles Safety & Enforcement (CVSE). The 40 year old glass all had the right coding, the headlights needed to be replaced with right dipping beams for a LHD vehicle and...side marker lights & reflectors were required - because all Minis that were legally imported to Canada in the 1970s had them.

CVSE allowed that the intention of the regulations was not to require me to cut holes in the steel, so I went looking for options and decided on LEDs to be put in the old City flairs. They and discreet reflectors with 2-sided tape did the job.

ROO was registered licensed and insured on January 25th and driven home.

Vehicle was too old to require backup light(s) or 3rd high mount brake light...I am addressing both on my own because it simply makes sense to do so.

hunter2 Avatar
hunter2 Rick Higgs
1973 Leyland Mini "ROO"
Some have asked, "How did you get your Mini off the docks so fast?"

First, I owned the vehicle and was shipping it to myself - there was no 2nd or 3rd party.

Second, it was thoroughly cleaned by power washing the suspension and underbody/wheel arches to ensure there was NO soil & NO plant material...before I delivered the Mini to the shipping broker in Brisbane. Perhaps, I was lucky as CBSA says allow 2-4 days for the Soil Examination to be done - the Mini was cleared in just over 24 hours. [NOTE: If when the Soil Examination is done (the first import fee you pay), dirt and/or plant material is found, you will pay up to several hundred dollars and face delays of up to 10 days or more.]

Third, the Mini was shipped on a Non-Negotiable Waybill, which meant that the shipping company had no claim on the Mini after leaving the RoRo vessel in Port Metro Vancouver.

Fourth, I quickly realized that I should do all I could to help CBSA, the terminal staff, the shipping line's agent, etc. to take an interest and help...because it quickly became apparent that not all dealing with the matter had much experience...for example, the lady at the terminal was new to her job and appreciated my help and she helped me. Thoughtful questions and expressions of appreciation saw things move quickly. If I had been snarky about bureaucracy whether public or private sector, the results would not have been so good.

Fifth, a word of caution, carefully inspect your vehicle before attempting to start it or load the vehicle on a trailer. NO claim for damage/loss can be made after the vehicle leaves the terminal. So, take a camera, a note book and a friend as witness to your inspection. I had the advantage of knowing exactly what I was shipping. If you buy sight unseen from an overseas source, you will have difficulty proving damage/loss in shipping. I would suggest that your offshore agent document the vehicle - VIN, exterior/interior photos, odometer etc. and send them to you so you can refer to them on going to make the pickup.

Of course, if you ship in Bond by Container, there may be greater protection of your "investment" and greater cost as well.

So what did it cost...just over $4,600 - Shipping $2,312 (incl. insurance), dock fee $95, Soil Exam fee $43, 6.1% federal duty, 5% federal sales tax (GST) and 12% provincial sales tax (PST)...and if you thought PST was only 7% wake up and smell the roses, the B.C. government enacted the unique 12% PST on the private sale (and import) of automobiles - effective July 1, 2010 - because they are a better friend of New Car Dealers than hobbyists like you and me. The import saw 17% combined federal/provincial sales tax not the 12% if you were to buy a new car from a dealer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-04 10:18 AM by hunter2.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Mini 1100 Special

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links